JOB TITLE: Attorney
PROJECT: Juvenile Advocacy Project
Conducts civil lawsuits, draws up legal documents, advises clients as to legal rights, and practices other phases of law by performing the following essential duties. Work schedule is as follows: generally Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. with occasional evening or weekend work.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Represents clients before administrative and judicial tribunals in a full range of civil legal matters.
- Shepherds cases through juvenile court process, enforces statutory time frames on behalf of client, litigates as necessary to enforce forward progress on client’s case.
- Conducts interviews of clients in the field or at the office.
- Investigates and develops cases, including conducting necessary interviews and consulting appropriate agencies and resources.
- Counsels and advises clients in legal matters.
- Negotiates on behalf of clients.
- Drafts letters, memos, pleadings, briefs, and other legal documents and written materials.
- Remains current on new developments in the law which affect Legal Aid clients.
- Performs legal research.
- Maintains accurate and complete records and files regarding cases.
- Makes referrals and follows up referrals of clients to appropriate alternative or additional sources of assistance.
- Maintains confidentiality of all information handled.
- Doctor of Jurisprudence (J.D.) from A.B.A. accredited law school.
- Member of the Florida Bar or pending.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Knowledge of the Florida and Federal Rules of Civil Procedure.
- Dependability, initiative, motivation, and concern for interests of clients.
- Strong, positive interpersonal skills.
- Good judgment and organization.
- Commitment to remain in position for at least two (2) years.
- Must pass Level 2 background screening.
- Knowledge of child welfare system and juvenile law strongly preferred.
- Ability to work independently and responsibly
- High ethical standards.
SALARY RANGE: Commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefits package.
APPLICATION PROCESS AND DEADLINE: Email resume and cover letter with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, October 27, 2017.
The Legal Aid Society of Palm Beach County, Inc., is an Equal Opportunity Employer.