- In Florida
- FL Healthy Start program includes universal screening of pregnant women and infants, identification of risk factors for poor birth and developmental outcomes, and has provided needed services since 1991. Healthy Start Coalitions strive to develop and implement quality systems of care unique to the communities they serve.
- FL Healthy Start offers:
- Care Coordination and Outreach
- Breastfeeding and Childbirth Education
- Parenting Education and Support
- Smoking Cessation Assistance
- Nutritional Services and Counseling
- Psychosocial Counseling
- Home Visits
- Impact of FL Healthy Start:
- Florida has seen a 35% decrease in infant mortality rate since 1991 due in part to the resources and services provided by Healthy Start. It leads with low rates in south-eastern states
- In a typical year, Healthy Start provided support for nearly 80,000 at risk pregnant women and more than 56,000 at-risk infants and helped connect them with community resources throughout Florida.
- To learn more about FL Healthy Start:
- In Palm Beach County
- The Healthy Start Coalition of Palm Beach County Inc. also known as the Healthy Beginnings Coalition was created to provide a cohesive system of care in the county. Healthy Beginnings seeks to improve birth outcomes by providing access to direct health and social services for pregnant women whose chances of having a healthy baby are hampered by such risk factors as poverty, limited access to health care, poor nutrition, age, substance abuse, homelessness, domestic violence and more. The system also seeks to reach young children exhibiting developmental or behavioral issues that could hamper later school success. Through early intervention, many such issues can be dealt with prior to the child entering the formal school setting, thus improving opportunities for school success.
- Healthy Start services are provided by Palm Beach County’s Department of Health programs: Nurses Supporting Families, Prenatal Plus, and Women’s Health Initiative
- To learn more, contact our Entry Agency Programs below:
Note: If you are a health provider or a Medicaid Health Plan and need to refer a patient or a client for services for a pregnant women or infant, please click here download the Healthy Start Managed Care Organization Referral Form for Pregnant Women and Infants.
Comments or complaints, please call:
(888) 634-7900 (select option 6) or (561) 374-7820 (select option 6)
Calendar of Board and Coalition meetings
Check out our Healthy Start Twitter! @HealthyStartPBC
Healthy Start is funded by:
Florida Department of Health, Agency for Health Care Administration, Healthy Start MomCare Network, & Children’s Service Council of Palm Beach County
To learn more about the relevant Florida laws: