Three Palm Beach County businesses working to help improve outcomes for children and youth were named “2019 Birth to 22 Business Champions” Friday during the second annual Birth to 22 Business Breakfast April 12 at the West Palm Beach Marriott.
The Champions are:
- Small Business – Progressive Pediatric Therapy. Progressive Pediatric offers services for developmentally delayed children, including a monthly wheelchair clinic and orthotic clinic to evaluate children between the ages of 3 and 22 years for custom wheelchairs. Physical and occupational therapists in the practice work with school-based therapists to ensure that children receive maximum benefit. Approximately 120 students have been served.
- Mid-Sized Business – Boca West Country Club. The Project SEARCH program at Boca West Country Club enables students with intellectual or developmental disabilities to cultivate marketable skills through internship opportunities. Such partnerships provide a sustainable, steadfast future for these students and give the business access to a new and diverse talent stream.
- Large Business – The Breakers. The Breakers Palm Beach Resort has been instrumental in supporting a coordinated and collaborative effort to improve the foster care system. One effort is the construction of the Visitation Center at the Children’s Home Society. Children and families are able to have supervised visits there in a safe, welcoming and comfortable environment, which is essential for creating and maintaining healthy relationships and reducing trauma.
Each Business Champion selected a local charity to receive a share of the proceeds from Friday’s event, called “Birth to 22: Shaping Our Children’s Future Together.” Selected 'Charities of Choice' are:
- Hope4Mobility.org, selected by Progressive Pediatric Therapy. Hope4Mobility’s mission is to provide people with developmental disabilities and special needs financial assistance and relief so they can get essential equipment, products and therapy services to help improve their health, mobility and quality of life.
- Unicorn Children's Foundation, selected by Boca West Country Club. Unicorn is dedicated to redefining what is possible for individuals with intellectual/developmental disorders by creating cradle to career pathways that will allow them to live productive, engaged and fulfilled lives.
- Speak Up for Kids! selected by The Breakers. Speak Up for Kids! is committed to providing every vulnerable child in Palm Beach County with a voice to advocate for their physical, educational, and emotional best interests.
The alliance, Birth to 22: United for Brighter Futures, was established in 2013. More than 300 people attended the sold-out Business Breakfast.
“The businesses currently supporting Birth to 22 add an invaluable dimension to our collective impact efforts,” said Tammy Fields, Director of Palm Beach County’s Youth Services Department, and Lisa Williams-Taylor, CEO of Children’s Services Council of Palm Beach County. “Many view their participation as a sound investment made today — for compounded returns tomorrow.”
About Birth to 22: United for Brighter Futures
Birth to 22 is a collective impact alliance designed to achieve social change through strategic collaboration. The mission is to support the healthy growth, development and education of our children and youth prenatal through young adulthood, so they can graduate from high school and succeed in life.